Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Report on Jonah's (Shirley Janeaux) Going Home Celebration


For those of my friends who were unable to attend Shirley's home going service, it was just as she would have wanted it. Deborah did an awesome job putting the whole thing together with the help of Mary Jo Thompson. We sang "Royal Telephone" and "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" as congregational songs to open with. Bro. Garret opened with stories and I sang and signed, "Jesus Loves Me". Shirley had wanted Dannah to sing it but, poor thing just couldn't do it.Sis. Mary Jo Thompson told us stories that made us   laugh so hard and then told of how Shirley had become her "spiritual mother", and we cried. Bill shared his "mom in law" memories and for the first time in my life, I saw my brother in law so choked up he couldn't talk. That spoke volumes to me of his love and affection toward Shirley. As requested, Bill and Deb sang "Address Change Notification",and touched hearts. Bro. Bob Thompson read letters and blogs(he read yours Caroline) from friends and former Sunday School students and we all laughed and cried. Then Bro. Nathan Morton told us some funny yet true of Shirley stories. We closed with " Everybody Will Be Happy Over There".
Shirley was a very memorable person for sure with her quirks and ways, but she loved, loved, loved people. She had a knack of making one feel as if they were so special,and loved. She loved her children and grandchildren in a way I could only hoped to be loved by someone. But most importantly, she loved God!
It was a special service. The church people really rallied with Bill and Deb and the kids to help them through this really difficult time. I was amazed at the attendance the church family made to support thefamily and a woman they hardly knew. That is what the family of God is about. Lifting up our brothers and sisters during the hard times as well as the good times. I'm so glad Nathan and I were apart of her home going service.


One Shirley story I have and couldn't share at the funeral took place after I had Katrina, and Deb had Cameron. Deborah and I were comparing "war scars" (stretch marks), when Shirley walked in the room. She took one look at my "war scars" and promptly announced, "April, You're ruined!!" Deborah was horrified, not sure how I was going to take it since our hormones had not settled completely. I laughed and said if Nathan doesn't mind, it doesn't matter! I gave him two beautiful girls for the price of myself. Deborah and I laugh about that to this day! It was so Shirley to said what she thought!
My girls called her "Aunt Shirley" and she was part of our family. I will always think of her fondly and am thankful for the opportunity of knowing this fine lady of God.

This is a collage I made of all kinds of pictures. It shows Shirley's personality for sure!  The following pictures are at the reception in the home of the Gough's.  They were so good to let Nathan and I as well as my in laws to stay in their home as well as host the reception.  We have come to love this family!


2 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

Thanks for sharing this, April. Shirley was one great lady. I know she'll be missed, but the reunion is going to be grand!

Karen J. Hopper said...

A wonderful lady was Shirley. She always had room in her heart for everyone, and what a beautiful smile. Thank you for this touching post.